Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Office: Ready or Not


Today's blog is written from the heart of Cathy Harvey, Administrative Assistant to Shepherds College.

This blog site is designed to highlight Shepherds College, but sometimes, without warning, something happens that is so shocking to one’s system, it is difficult to ignore, so I hope the manager of our blog will allow an exception for such a personal story.



Many of you may know by now that my daughter, Anna, was struck by a car and killed on her 34th birthday, May 2, 2013, not far from our home.  She was biking her way home from the local community college about 2 p.m. where she was studying to be a personal trainer. 



My last words to her that day were, “Happy Birthday, Anna!” before I left for work.  Her last words to her girls were probably a good-bye with a smile as they hopped on the bus for school, a routine she sustained for years since their first day of school.  I have been told, because I was not a Facebook user at the time, that her May 2nd Facebook entry started with a comment that at 7 a.m. she was already having a good birthday with well wishes coming via that modern mode of community communication.  The last sentence on her page that morning, speaking of her classes and educational goal , penned in earnest, “The end is near!”  



We just never know. . .



I imagine most people reading this have some type of religious convictions and understand our faith-based foundation on the truths of the Bible and the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior and Redeemer of all who come to Him.  But, if not, there is not a stronger reason to become of follower of Christ than to have the utmost assurance of an eternity in Heaven.  From one parent to another, I would like to share one of the two Scripture passages we chose for Anna’s funeral, I John 5:11-13:



"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.  He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.  I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."  (NIV, emphasis mine)



Death is not respecter of persons.  It comes at times when least expected, whether we are ready or not.  I was sitting on the couch decompressing from my work at Shepherds College, enjoying a quiet household, but wondering why no one was home.  I arrived at 5:11 in time to take my granddaughter to her dance lesson.  It was unusual for Anna and the girls to not be home, so I called her cell phone, but there was no answer or text reply.  At this time, I had no sense of something being amiss because she had spent her life getting around on foot or bike or by securing rides.  I supposed she thought I might be late and called someone else for a ride to dance class; I didn't know, just two and a half miles away, death had already taken her from us.



I decided to relax and unwind from work, so I made a peanut butter sandwich and was watching “Family Feud” when the coroner and deputy sheriff knocked on my door.  Two men, dressed in black—ready or not, they came…



Anna Harvey
It is difficult to explain how I tried to absorb the coroner’s simple and direct statement that our daughter was on her bike, hit by a car, and killed.  One sentence, less than twenty words. . . the coroner was looking me straight in the eye with poise and a quiet calm.  I returned his gaze and heard his words softly echo in my head as I envisioned the words circling my brain.  Did I really hear what he just said?  He looked so calm.  It took about 15 seconds for my stomach to begin to flutter as the reality surfaced.  I already knew where Anna was, but it was the thought of her little girls that started the tears.  As the evening wore on, waiting for my husband and the girls’ father to arrive, I knew in my heart a divine relief and comfort—even within the first hour of hearing the news—because I knew for sure Anna was in Heaven and that we would one day see her again in a better, happier, pain-free place where we would dance, and sing, and laugh, and play, and praise again for all eternity.  All that transpired thereafter is a tender story of compassion from so many which I hope to unfold in an additional blog, if I may indulge on this theme one more time, to highlight the deluge of love showered on us during this time in “A Thousand Tears of Love.”  In the meantime I, as well as my family, hope you are ready. . .



I would like to end this blog with the words to the closing song of her funeral service, “Untitled Hymn” (Come to Jesus) by Chris Rice.  You may listen to it on YouTube at the following link if you like, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_hV8L65Rqo.

Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus)
by Chris Rice

Weak and wounded sinner
Lost and left to die
O, raise your head, for love is passing by
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus and live!

Now your burden's lifted
And carried far away
And precious blood has washed away the stain, so
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus and live!

And like a newborn baby
Don't be afraid to crawl
And remember when you walk
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!

Sometimes the way is lonely
And steep and filled with pain
So if your sky is dark and pours the rain, then
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus and live!

O, and when the love spills over
And music fills the night
And when you can't contain your joy inside, then
Dance for Jesus
Dance for Jesus
Dance for Jesus and live!

And with your final heartbeat
Kiss the world goodbye
Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus and live!

  



Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment